Tuesday 16 June 2015

Shots, Shots, Shots and More Shots

I finally started my period this morning. As per my instructions, I quickly called into the Regional Fertility Program's IVF answering service. 

One thing you quickly learn when you are a patient with the RFP is that NO ONE ever answers the phone! Why is this a big deal? Well that means that you are then forced to carry your phone around with you everywhere you go, because you are so afraid that you might miss their return phone call. 


When I say everywhere, I mean everywhere... the kitchen while you are making your breakfast, bedroom while you are getting dressed,  and yes even into the washroom!

When I finally did get the return phone call I was shocked when I was told that they wanted me to start taking the Gonal F and Luveris shots, as well as, start the antibiotics!

Its so funny I was so afraid when my period didnt start that this cycle would be cancelled. Then as soon as she mentioned starting the two other shots my heart began pounding and my stomach became instantly uneasy a mixture of excitement and sheer terror!

The Gonal F and Luveris need to be taken between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m.. They also need to be taken at the same time each day. I initially was thinking that I would take it at 4:30 so that it wouldnt interfere with my supper etc.

The only problem was that I forgot you are supposed to take the Gonal F out of the refrigerator for at least an hour before you do the shot. (The Gonal F is the only medication so far that needs to be refrigerated).

Oh well,  5 oclock it is!

As I mentioned before I am not a big fan of needles, and as soon as I started reviewing the information pamphlets my stomach started turning. But instead of breaking down into tears, (which was a real possibility), I pulled up my big girl pants, took several deep breaths, prepared* everything, and then DID IT!

And yet again, it wasnt nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. (I decided to do these shots on the outer part of my thigh rather than my stomach- the pamphlet mentioned making sure to vary the injection sites to help reduce soreness- that was all I needed to read to quickly make that decision!)

*These shots are a little more complicated than the Suprefact. 

Gonal F 
The Gonal F, which looks similar to an EpiPen, doesnt need much done. I simply added an injection needle to the end and turned the dial to the correct amount.


Luveris
The Luveris was a little more complex. When you open the box there are two different vials. One containing sterile water and the other containing a white powder.

With the help of a Q-Cap I had to take the sterile water out of one vial and add it into the powder.  Once the powder was dissolved I had to turn the vial upside down and withdraw all of the Luveris into the syringe. Finally I had to attach the injection needle.

Not hard, but definitely nerve racking.

Remember how I said that I often look for small 'signs' to make me feel better? Well while unpacking my Gonal F kit this evening I notice the name of the injection needle container... BRAUN! I know its silly, but as soon as I saw it, it made me smile, and relieved a bit of the pressure.








No comments:

Post a Comment