Friday 26 June 2015

Sometimes When It Rains...It Pours.

Yesterday morning I went to have another ultrasound and blood work taken. As I mentioned in a previous post, it wasn't my doctor who performed the ultrasound on Monday,  and yesterday it was yet another doctor. (The doctors at the RFC do rotating shifts so you may or may not see your doctor for your ultrasounds.) 

Luckily I had called ahead, and when I found out that it wouldn't be my doctor, I made an appointment to meet with her in the afternoon.  

I had so many questions and I felt like I need to have an appointment with my actual doctor to find out some answers. I needed to know if the IUI didn't work what our next steps would be. Would we do another IVF cycle? How long would we have to wait before starting it? Would there be a different protocol? ...plus a million more questions!


Little did I know my ultrasound would bring more heartache and even more questions! 


Have you ever heard the saying: 'when it rains, it pours'?

Well apparently I need an umbrella!

This ultrasound showed a few more really small follicles, but before I could get excited the doctor told me of his concern that my three previous follicles had hardly grown at all.

Egg follicles typically grow 2-3 mm a day. Mine had grown less than 1 mm in three days.

This is not a good sign.

So just as I got myself psyched up to do IUI, it looks like we won't even be able to do that!

The doctor who was working prescribed Menopur instead of Luveris to try and see if we can get these follicles growing. (Menopur has FSH in it whereas Luveris does not.)

Later in the afternoon I met with Dr. F. and she reiterated that it didn't look good, and that the Menopur would be our best bet.  (another $370 dollars)

She also talked about other options for Chris and I.

If this round doesn't work then we could wait a month or two and try again, although, the odds are not good.

We could buy an egg from the United States (it is illegal to purchase an egg in Canada), and try an IVF round in which they would use Chris's sperm. This would cost us around $22,000 everything in. It would give us a mid to high 60% chance of conceiving.

We could also see about buying an already frozen embryo that another couple has donated. They cost $2000- $5000 plus there would be IVF costs. I'm not sure what the success rate would be for this. UPDATE: We wouldn't be purchasing the embryo- the $2000-$5000 is actually for lawyer's fees.

So again, we are in limbo. I have another ultra sound with blood work on Sunday and will hopefully know whether this round is going to work or not.


1 comment:

  1. Great post! For those over 40 looking to get pregnant, if you can afford it, buy this book: Pregnancy Miracle. Available in digital format as well here.

    Well first of all, it's not just an infertility cure program, it shows you how to get pregnant fast. It worked beautifully for me n hubby :)

    This may seem like semantics or wordplay at first, but once you've read just the first chapters, there will be no doubt in your mind that pursuing "help with your pregnancy" is not only the wrong goal, it may be the reason that you've failed to get pregnant until now.Pregnancy Miracle shows you exactly why you should fix the internal problem that's hindering your chances of getting pregnant and then goes on to show you exactly how to do it.Secondly, what makes Pregnancy Miracle different is the amount of attention that is paid to each and every element required to get pregnant the natural way. Pregnancy Miracle not only thoroughly discusses the lies, myths and fallacies surrounding a very confusing subject, it is simply the most detailed book about pregnancy and infertility, Chinese Medicine and holistic health ever written.

    The Pregnancy Miracle book focuses on 100% natural method for getting pregnant quickly. That means there aren't recommendations for harsh prescription drugs or surgeries with nasty side effects.

    Because the Pregnancy Miracle program is [b]not a quick fix ‘fairy tale’ cure but a complete holistic solution aimed at eliminating the root cause of fertility problems[/b](regardless of your age) and ensure your will get pregnant quickly, it does take work and persistence to complete. "The dictionary is the only place success comes before work" says Lisa, as she emphasizes the "no quick fix" philosophy behind the entire book.Anyone and everyone who wants to get pregnant naturally and regain their natural inner balance will benefit from Pregnancy Miracle. This ebook is honestly for everyone. Even women without fertility issues.

    Anyone searching for the truth about pregnancy, fertility issues and alternative health and who is ready and willing to put in some work and make the lifestyle changes necessary to get pregnant fast and give birth to healthy children, will find Pregnancy Miracle to be one of the best investments they ever made in their lives.

    ReplyDelete