Monday 29 June 2015

Staying Grounded

Since yesterday's surprisingly happy news I have been on an emotional roller coaster.

I had been praying that when we went in for the ultrasound my follicles would have grown, but I never imagined that they would have grown big enough for her to tell me to trigger!

So at 11:00 p.m. last night I took my final two injections for this cycle. I was given 10, 000 IU of HCG, which I needed to divide into two different syringes. 

Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) is used to mature the eggs and 'trigger' ovulation. My eggs are supposed to be released from their follicles 40 hours after the shot. I go in for my insemination between 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. tomorrow, which is 35 hours after the injection. (This allows the sperm to already be present in my uterus so once the eggs are released they can hopefully be fertilized.)

I am trying to be optimistic, but also realistic. 

(I am just so afraid to get my hopes up too much and then be crushed if we don't end up pregnant.)

I also know that it won't be just Chris and I that will be disappointed if this doesn't happen. When I called my family to tell them how the ultrasound went they were overjoyed to hear that we still had a chance. My friends and family have been so supportive and invested in this cycle with us that I feel somewhat guilty. I don't want to let them down.

As per normal, I've read everything I could find online about IUIs, including some animated videos, so at least I feel like I am as prepared as possible for tomorrow's insemination. 

In my research I also found an interesting article that focused on visualizing the outcome you are hoping for. Similar to the book The Secret, this article talked about how you can make things happen just by visualizing them. Wouldn't that be amazing if it was true?

I'm not sure, but I figure it can't hurt trying to imagine (visualize) us getting pregnant. I think it may be similar to the power of prayer. When I spoke to my father today I mentioned that if you only needed people's prayers and best wishes, Chris and I would have nothing to worry about.

This evening while taking a walk I came upon a family. The dad was helping his daughter ride her bike, the mom was walking with a baby in a baby backpack carrier, and she was also walking a dog! They appeared to be the perfect family. I couldn't help but wonder if they realize how lucky they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment