Monday 15 June 2015

My Tentative IVF Schedule

So many of my friends and family have been asking what our IVF schedule looks like so I thought I might as well put it up here for them to check out. (I thought it might also help anyone who is thinking about starting IVF.) I want to stress that this schedule is TENTATIVE and can change depending on how my body reacts to the different medications.

Before we could even get on the wait list for IVF we had to attend an IVF information evening and pay the nonrefundable Registration fee.

We also had the have the following tests done:

Me- Cycle Day 3 blood work to test FSH and Estradiol, HIV I & II, Hepatitis B & C, Syphilis, and Rubella. I also had to have a Pelvic Ultrasound with Antral Follicle Count. (Thankfully my HSG was less than a year old so I didn’t have to do it again!)

My Husband- Semen analysis and blood work to test for HIV I & II, Hepatitis B & C, and Syphilis

I also had to call the RFP’s Period Hotline the first full flow day of my period. (If it started after 3:00 p.m. then I would call the next day.) If I missed calling in my period they would assume that we were no longer interested in proceeding.

We were told that it typically takes 1-3 months and of course... it ended up taking 3.

Once we confirmed that we wanted to start treatment we needed to sign pages of paperwork; including one regarding what we wanted to do with any embryos should anything ever happen to me, my husband or both of us.

Of course, we also had PAY the Basic Cost for IVF Treatments!

And then on May 22nd I started BIRTH CONTROL- yes that’s right birth control! I know- it seems contradictory, however, it is used to shut down my ovaries so that it is less likely for me to have cysts and also helps to regulate my cycle. I also started taking low dose ASA, which I believe helps to thin the blood and get blood flow to my ovaries.

On June 10th I had to go into the RFC to have a blood test and an internal vaginal ultrasound- This is done on a first come, first served basis .  I arrived right at 7:30, when they open, and didn’t get out of there until 9:18- thank goodness I had taken the morning off!! There is no way I would have made it to work on time!  (I was told ladies line up in the stairway as early as 6:00 a.m. The elevator doesn’t go up to the RFC floor until 7:30 so they take the elevator to the 3rd floor and then walk up a back staircase.)

When my results came back o.k. then I had to go to pick up my copious amounts of drugs from the pharmacy (see my Getting Informed, Paying the Price and Learning How Post.)

June 14th- Started Suprefact- two shots of 0.2 ml 12 hours apart (I will continue these until I receive my HCG injection which will occur 2 days before my egg retrieval.

June 15th - I was supposed to call on the first full flow day of my period or on the 15th and of course I DIDN’T start! The one time in the past TWO years that I wanted to get my period, and of course, I didn’t. 
(I was starting to get anxious, but after talking with the nurse I was told to call again tomorrow to see if it starts then. If it doesn’t my doctor will decide whether to wait or just get me started on the Gonal F and Luveris. She told me going back on the pill often causes a woman’s lining to become a lot thinner and that whether I get my period or not shouldn’t affect this cycle.)

The Next Part is all Tentative:

June 18th– start Gonal F and Luveris (Hormones FSH) they are to be taken at the same time every day between 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. I should be taking these plus the Suprefact for 10-14 days.  Both my husband and myself will also need to start taking oral antibiotics (this is a precautionary measure to eliminate any unidentified infections.)

June 25th – ultrasound and blood work

And I will probably need to have an ultrasound and blood test every other day to check how my egg follicles are growing. They want them to grow to be about 18 mm.

Once my egg follicles are at the right size I will get a HGC injection to mature the eggs,

and then 35 hours later

July 2nd – I will go in for the egg retrieval and my husband, Chris, will give a semen sample.

July 5th or 7th – If the eggs follicles are healthy and they fertilize they will do the embryo transfer. (If there are any extra embryos they will be frozen.) 


16- 18 days later I will take a Pregnancy Test!

No comments:

Post a Comment