Saturday 13 June 2015

Getting Informed, Paying the Price and Learning How


Yesterday I arrived at the RFP Pharmacy just before it opened at 7:45 a.m.. Why? Well like the RFP’s (Regional Fertility Program’s) policy on ultrasounds and blood work- their pharmacy’s 'How to administer IVF drugs' lessons are given on a first come, first served policy.

I am embarrassed to say as soon as I heard the rumbling of the pharmacy window opening I jumped up to make sure I was first in line. Obsessive? Yes, but with good reason!

Immediately after paying for my drugs and being told I had to wait for the other pharmacist to arrive I sat back down. That was when I overheard the pharmacist tell a lady, who came in a few minutes after me, that there was someone in line front of her, that they only do the sessions one at a time, and that the session would take thirty minutes!

Considering it was already 7:50 a.m. and I had to be to work for 9:00 a.m. I was relieved I jumped up like a lunatic.

Drugs... specifically IVF drugs are NOT cheap! I am so grateful that I receive 80% coverage on almost all the drugs we need. Thank goodness I do!

The four boxes of Gonal f alone cost over $4000 without coverage. My two bags of goodies with my discount only came to $921. 21.

The sad thing is that I was actually relieved at the price... yes that's right relieved!

Why?  Well we were told that the drugs could cost between $3000 - $6500. In light of those amounts $921.21 doesn't seem so bad.

Armed with my pricy packages I was finally called into a private room where the pharmacist went through step-by-step how to inject the Suprefact, Gonal f, and Luveris subcutaneously.

Subcutaneously??? If like me you have no idea what it means I looked it up:

'A subcutaneous injection is a shot given into the fat layer between the skin and muscle.'

Doesn`t that sound like fun! 

Confession time: I am a wimp! Although I have gotten better, I was that kid that hid behind the chair the first time I had to have blood taken. In fact it took two nurses, an orderly, and a doctor to hold me down! Not a pretty picture (word of advice- if you ever have to take a child to get blood work don`t let them watch someone else get it done first!) 

Now that happened many years ago and I have gotten much better at needles and blood work, however, I always look away. Unfortunately, looking away is no longer an option as I have to administer the injections to myself.  I`m hoping I`ll surprise myself and that once I do it the first time I`ll be fine.

I`ll let you know for sure tomorrow as I will be giving myself my first injection at 7:00 a.m. and then a second at 7:00 p.m. Mixed emotions don`t even begin to express how I am feeling...

Hopeful, frightened, relieved and cautiously excited to be getting started!

p.s. Am I the only one who looks for ridiculous signs to make them feel better... check out the name of the alcohol swabs I got... Lori`s :)



No comments:

Post a Comment